Thursday, October 27, 2011

Apple Crisp (Gluten Free!)

I live in central Connecticut, and, like the rest of New England, we're in quality apple season.  It seems like someone brings in a bag from some orchard every week to the office to share, and the grocery store is full of different varieties.  I'm looking forward to another trip to my favorite local orchard soon.  

Saturday had a meeting of the gender/sexuality/relationships conference I organize, and to be both a good guest (it was at the home of some friends) and good leader, I try to bring some food to the meetings.  One of the residents is avoiding gluten and doesn't do much dairy.  Also, I had bags of apples, so a crisp it was!  

I vaguely based my recipe from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook my MIL bought us a while ago.  

1) Grease a baking dish.  You could use something like Earth Balance if you wanted to do this totally vegan.

2) Peel & slice up apples.  I did wedges, but think next time I will do more chunks.  I used about 8 apples with 3 different varieties.  Toss them in the baking dish with a little lemon juice, and sprinkle about 1/3 cup water over them.

3) The crisp part was 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup almond meal, 1/4 cup rice flour, a little salt, cinnamon, 1/4 cup crushed walnuts and 1/4 cup sliced almonds mixed up with a stick of butter to create a coarse topping.  I did it by hand, but you could use a pastry blender if you hand one.  Honestly, I didn't measure the nuts, so those are estimates.  This is not an exact science recipe.

4) I baked it at 375 for about an hour.  It could of gone a little longer but I ran out of time.  I liked the nuts as much as I like oats, and the different flours added a certain richness.  

This crisp was enough of a success where there was only 1 serving left, and dibs had already been claimed when I left.  I'll definitely continue to experiment with this dish, but I think I have a good base.


No comments:

Post a Comment